Saturday, November 5, 2011

Shy Smiles


I unlocked the mailbox and took the stack of envelopes with me. I gave hubby his and started opening mine. The first one had a photo of a boy with a shy smile. "He's grown so quickly," I said to my partner and showed him the photo. He handed me a picture of another boy of the same age, and we both beamed with pride.

They are our children. Well, not exactly. We just help with the costs of their education. I'm not claiming we're good people who want to give these kids a chance. I'm just a corporate whore who remains a teacher at heart. Hubby has deep-seated issues with the lack of financial support from his dad in the past. Maybe this is our way of addressing personal frustrations.

I leafed through the rest of my mail. My bank statement confirmed that I have received my first salary. Having had no income in the past year, thoughts of a new jacket, desert boots and the iPhone 4s ran through my head. They lasted for only a fraction of a second though. I set aside some money for the future. And wrote a check for somebody else's.

13 comments:

Leo said...

That's so noble of you Sean. Salute to you! :)

André said...

This I wanna do too. :)

egG. said...

ayyy mag aampon kayo ser sean? amryt.. nice... :)

maganda kung half pinoy half chinese :D tas ang apilido niya chinese pero yung name pinoy :D

zeke said...

I admire the gesture. That's the reason why you are blessed. :)

Anonymous said...

a big smile... weee im proud...


- KIKOMAXXX

Raymond said...

Wonderful. Nakakagaan ng loob makabasa ng mga ganito. :)

Rygel said...

nice to hear that you 2 decided to do that

Mr. Hush Hush said...

awwww.. this is inspiring Sean.. I really hope I could do the same by the end of next year..

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

I admire the two of you....

JJRod'z

Mac Callister said...

both of you have a good heart :-)

Mugen said...

Ang coool!! :) Mapa-English or Filipino, your writing style is noticeable. :D

citybuoy said...

I was at Muji last night sitting on the 36,000 bed, running my hands through the 2,000 blanket and wondered if there was a better way to use all this money.

It would be nice to have a lot no?

c - e - i - b - o - h said...

wow.. wise decision..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...