Saturday, November 12, 2011

Black and White


I stepped back from the canvas and gave my latest work a once over. I went through a checklist of technicalities in my head. The perspective was accurate, the rendering even, the detailing spot on, and the correct balance of chiaroscuro was achieved.

As with the hundreds I toiled over day and night this week, it was rendered in black and white. The monochrome was clinical, factual, the way it should be. I dipped the brush one last time, signed my name in full, before sending the piece to whom it may concern with my best regards.

I haven't signed anything simply as Sean in a while. I looked at my hands, pale under fluorescent lighting, now tainted only with black and shades of gray. Before I was tempted to slice my ear off, I clocked out and just counted how much I made that day in my head.

photo from tumblr.com

5 comments:

Spiral Prince said...

At first I was sure this was about a painting, but now I'm not so sure. Something makes me suspect it's a metaphor for a letter, or paperwork. I hope you're okay,kuya sean.

bien said...

Ang productive mo Vincent. Nakakabaliw ba sa office?

Sean said...

@spiral prince: hi spiral. how have you been! thanks - i'm trying to hang on. i never thought i'd ever hate writing, but i've been buried under so much paperwork an other tasks...

@bien: bien you're here! amishu! hahaha sobra!!! i can't enjoy starry nights or walks in fields of sunflowers anymore.

citybuoy said...

they did not listen, they're not listening still. perhaps, they never will.

why do we work ourselves to the bone, sean? (sorry, feeling close ako haha)

Sean said...

@citybuoy: haha bakit nga ba no?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...