Friday, June 14, 2013

Under Fluorescent Lighting


I shut the door behind me. Scrolled down to a song in my playlist. Stripped my shirt off. Turned the hot water on. Waited for the steam to rise. And then closed my eyes.

The music played, adding one synthesized layer over another. I swayed slowly, then with increasing urgency. The lights dimmed before exploding in color. I broke into sweat, as I pumped my fist in the air.

A knock on the door, followed by a stern warning from hubby. "Quiet down. You'll wake the whole building up."

I opened my eyes, and the lights came back on. I caught a glimpse of myself in the misted mirror, as I pulled back the runaway fist and wound down the epileptic swaying.

Under the fluorescent lighting, I saw the familiar image of my father. Reliving a distant era, as he strutted his stuff. Enduring the taunts of one who, at that time, still took his youth for granted.

12 comments:

citybuoy said...

Early father's day or mourning the loss of fickle youth? Either way, you deliver such heartbreak succinctly and so I forever await your next post. :p

Anonymous said...

memory, oh you slimy, tricky thing.


- the geek

Explorer Jack said...

On many occasion, I'll look in the mirror and it's my father's face looking back at me.

Perhaps I'm not the glass half full guy that you are, because I don't see my youthful father of the past, but my own mature face having morphed into the memory of my dad.

Geosef Garcia said...

I'm new here, and I liked what I've read. So I'm gonna do some backreading. :)

the geek said...

hello, sean. how are you? i missed you. i hope you are well. :)

Spiral Prince said...

kuya sean? kamusta ka na?

Mobile App Developers said...

I don’t know how I should give you thanks for making us aware about this important information! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time I would have wasted by browsing for same information on internet. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

Places to visit in Gurgaon said...

I can see that you possess a degree of expertise on this subject, I would like to hear much more from you on this subject matter. I have bookmarked this page and will return soon to hear additional about it.

SEO Company in Pitampura said...

Very interesting tips shared by you. I really like to read your blogs as they contain very important and informative content. I appreciate your efforts. Cheers.

Spiral Prince said...

kaway-kaway kuya sean :)

the geek said...

just wondering how have you been doing, sean? how are you?

i missed you.

Yas Jayson said...

Poignant naman nito. It's nice to be back in reading your blog, Sean!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...