Saturday, January 21, 2012

Compass


All my Pinoy friends have left for Manila. Even the Chinese are leaving the city and heading home to the provinces. I've been begging my husband for us to spend the Chinese New Year holidays somewhere warm. He took much too long to decide, and now the fares are just too expensive.

I don't blame him. His family couldn't agree on dates for the obligatory family dinners. I think he regrets not having gone on a trip. Now that the temperatures have started to drop further, I have permanently clung to him, leeching off all the warmth I could.

After he left for a family affair, I decided to brave the cold outside. I put on a sweater, a jacket, and a trench coat before heading out. While I do enjoy the illusion of walking down the runway each time I wear layered clothing, I still prefer tees and a pair of shorts in beach lounging weather.

I took the bus and got off at one of the major train stations. It was packed with hundreds of thousands of migrant workers heading home. The sight should have turned this demophobic away, but I remained rooted to the spot, watching.

I couldn't understand any of the chatter, but I recognized the anticipation and excitement in those around me. I pushed my way through the crowd, as I rifled through my pockets. Not long after, I was peeling away layer after layer of heavy winter clothing before settling in my seat.

I looked out the large window as the train started to accelerate. With only my wallet and sense of longing in my pocket, I headed South.

photo from shgay.com

6 comments:

ZaiZai said...

hope you're off to somewhere super warm sean! happy chinese new year! :)

Ryan said...

A journey worth taking. Kiong hee!

lonewolf said...

Happy Chinese new year sean!

kung hei fat choi

Victor Saudad said...

Happy new year!

egG. said...

balik ka na lang ulit ng pinas ser sean... mainit dito.. chos!!! and super warmmm...

anyway. kung hei fat choi.. penge tikoy!!! chos... :))

KikomaxXx said...

saan papunta?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...